Key City Steampunk Mask Policy
In an effort to provide the safest event as possible, the 2022 Key City Steampunk Festival event “Grimm’s Steampunk Fairytales” will be adhering to the following mask policy. This policy has been decided on in conjunction with WHO, CDC, State and local guidance and policy. To be abundantly clear from the start, this policy is expected to be followed by any and all attendees of the event, and unless otherwise stated in our policies as listed on our website, will not be changed or altered, nor will there be exceptions made to the policy. This is to ensure everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the event equally and safely.
As it currently stands, the event will be a “masked event”. This means all attendees are expected to be wearing masks while inside the event venue with the exception of eating and drinking while seated. Masks should;
- Completely cover your nose and mouth
- Fits snugly against the sides of your face and does not have gaps
- Should contain a nose wire to prevent air from escaping out the top of the mask.
This policy is being put into place and maintained to allow everyone to enjoy the event safely. For many of us, this pandemic has prevented us from enjoying a number of our favorite things, events one of them. This policy affords us the opportunity to have the event in as safe as a manner possible while adhering to all Local, State, and Federal policies and providing as safe as an environment as we can.
Failure to follow this policy will result in you being asked to leave, for the safety of the event as well as yourself. As with any violation of any of our policies, refunds are not available to those asked to leave for violation of our policies.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to answer your question as quickly as possible.
Key City Steampunk Code of Conduct
The main objective of the Key City Steampunk Festival is for all attendees to enjoy themselves in a safe and fun environment. Over the past three years the event has endeavored to ensure that everyone enjoys the finest this unique community has to offer. In order to continue that tradition of providing a fulfilling and exciting time, we felt a written Code of Conduct was necessary to continue that tradition. This Code of Conduct exists to ensure that all attendees are fully aware of what behavior is expected by all in attendance, to fellow attendees, as well as non-attendees in the venue, and the consequences of behavior that is in violation of the policy. Please be sure to read this policy and understand how it applies to you. Any questions or requests for clarification can be addressed to the following email email@example.com
- Who Goes There?: All Attendees will be provided a badge upon entry. It is the responsibility of the Attendee to wear their badge visibly and at all times in the venue. In the event you misplace or lose your badge a replacement can be issued by requesting one at the convention check-in desk. This ensures that everyone knows you are supposed to be there and not an advance scout for the Dark Gods.
- Manners Maketh the Man, Woman, and Automata: We ask that all Attendees are mindful of those around them. Steampunk is a diverse group, and that is one of the main factors that had drawn most of us into this amazing community. We vary in race, age, belief, sexual orientation, personal style, body size, ability, and so many more other variants too numerous to fully list. When attending, be mindful of not only who you are specifically interacting with, but those around you as well. We are an inclusive group by nature and should be celebrating everyone’s own uniqueness. Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ageist, or any other demeaning or degrading commentary or remarks have no place here. This additionally applies to costumes and buttons. Racist or hateful costuming will have no home here.
- How Close is Too Close: There will be times throughout the event when attendees will be in close proximity to each other. Be sure you are being mindful of other’s personal space, and do not invade anyone’s personal space. We are all a friendly bunch, but under no circumstances should you be touching, kissing, or hugging someone without their clear and explicit verbal consent. Sexual harassment, whether physical, verbal, or otherwise will not be tolerated. Physical violence and threats of are equally not acceptable and will not be tolerated. We take such misconduct very seriously and instances of any type of threat will be addressed immediately on being reported. Additionally there will be those who have opted for “larger than life” costumes and props, please be mindful that added appendages are not invading someone’s personal space without your knowledge.
- Obey the Rules: While it may feel as though you have been transported to another world while attending, the real world still exists. This means that the rules are there for your protection and need to be followed. This includes any and all hotel, state, and federal laws. Do not bring illegal drugs. Do not cheat or steal. Alcohol is only for those 21 years or older and those old enough to partake must do so responsibly. Do not claim something as yours that isn’t (this includes props and creations). Do not trespass or damage any property. Be mindful of children as this is a family friendly event. Treat the facilities and those working and attending it with respect. Please be mindful that the hotel staff is there working and should be treated with respect.
- Sometimes you just have to be blunt: Everyone wants to have a good time and enjoy themselves. Being a jerk prevents that from happening. Being a jerk is not adhering to this Code of Conduct. Being a jerk will result in you being asked to leave. Don’t be a jerk. The Organizational Staff reserves the right to remove anyone not adhering to the policies listed.
We take the safety of our attendees very seriously. If at any time anyone feels that these rules have been violated, and feel harassed, harmed, demeaned, or unsafe it is imperative that the unwelcome behavior be reported to any of the Key City Steampunk Festival Organizational Staff immediately. The same should apply if such behavior is witnessed happening to someone else since as a community we need to stick together and look out for each other. All reported instances will be investigated by the organizational management staff on a case by case basis. As matters such as this are sensitive, investigations and any administered corrective actions may be conducted confidentially. All reported instances will be reviewed and addressed on an independent basis and done so objectively. If the situation warrants it, or if a clear law has been broken, the proper authorities will be notified.
THIS COC format WAS ADAPTED FROM MIKE SELINKER’S PUZZLE LEAGUE CODE OF CONDUCT.
Weapons / Costume Policy
There have been some questions regarding a weapons policy for Key City Steampunk Festival. The following Weapons Policy has been established to provide a safe and secure environment for all.
- No real fire arms or ultra – realistic looking replicas. Local Police will treat anything that looks like a real weapon as a real weapon.
- No live steel including knives.
- Nerf and Water guns that are not identical to real firearms are permitted, however, should not contain projectile ammunition or water.
- Prop swords, axes, machetes, spears, halberds, glaives, and any other thing you can think of must be constructed of wood or foam only and not present a serious danger.
- Attendees must keep control of their “weapons” at all times. Allowing someone to hold or “use” your weapon is done so at your own risk.
- Flamethrowers are not permitted.
- Being Naked is not a costume.
- All props must be checked in and inspected at the Prop Check Area of Registration. Props will be inspected on a case by case basis. While we understand the time and effort that is put into these creations, it will be required that all checked in props be “peace tied” to identify they have been checked. This will include the addition of a brightly colored zip tie. All reasonable efforts to allow the tie to not interfere with the overall aesthetic of the prop will be made, however this is mandatory and must be readily visible. All Nerf and water guns will be tied to prevent operation. Management and Staff will be looking for these throughout the event, and if missing, the owner must be escorted back to the check in to receive a tie. If you are uncomfortable with this process, do not bring it. In the event such an item is unable to be made “safe” or properly and visibly tagged, it will be considered prohibited and asked to be removed.
- Masks and helmets are permitted, however, for your own safety, must not obstruct your vision and be easily removable.
- If you are unsure of a specific item, or have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.